BBMRI.fi is a National Node of BBMRI and operates under collaboration between the national organizations establishing biobanks: National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), University of Helsinki (FIMM), University of Turku and Hospital District of Southwest Finland, Hospital district of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Pirkanmaa Hospital District and University of Tampere, Hospital District of Northern Savo and University of Eastern Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia Hospital District and University of Oulu and Central Finland Health Care District. BBMRI.fi aims to create a harmonized, efficient and internationally leading biobank infrastructure providing strategic support to Finnish biomedical research, healthcare and biomedical industry.
The ongoing operations of BBMRI.fi include:
- Build a National network of biobanks and serve as a link with BBMRI-ERIC, BBMRI Nordic, European BBMRI National Nodes and Finnish biobanks
- Maintain the leadership of Finnish scientists in the area of population biobanks by promoting access to population biobanks, offering tools for harmonization of data and samples and participating to international biobank projects
- Support building the clinical biobanking efforts into the international forefront serving as a forum to build and pilot the operating model for clinical biobanks and harmonization of clinical data and samples.
- Collaborate with National biomedical analysis services and other ESFRIs
- Build a national biobank IT infrastructure serving biobanks, researchers, sample donors and authorities
- Continue to provide infrastructure quidance and services regarding sample collection, processing, storage and aliquoting for omics analyses. Coordinate standard operating procedures and quality control.
- Provide ethical and legal services to the national biobank community
- Promote public awareness of the potential of biobanking in biomedical research, advancement of population health and personalized medicine