Kurt Zatloukal (National Node Director)
Cornelia Stumptner (Project Manager)
The sustainable exploration of biological samples and medical data should be assured by the pan-European research infrastructure BBMRI-ERIC with its statutory seat and executive management office in Graz/Austria. The scientific participation of Austria in BBMRI-ERIC is exerted by a national node (BBMRI.AT) which should closely collaborate with the central executive management office, and involves the three public Austrian Medical Universities of Vienna, Graz, and Innsbruck, as well as the Alpe Adria University Klagenfurt, the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna, and the Life Science Governance Institute.
The main goals are:
- Establishment of the Austrian National Node and representation of the National Node in the BBMRI-ERIC Management Committee according to the Statutes and business plan of BBMRI-ERIC;
- Optimal harmonisation of procedures within BBMRI.at to integrate existing biobanks into a national research infrastructure;
- Optimal harmonisation of BBMRI.at procedures with BBMRI-ERIC to increase international visibility and the role of Austrian biobanks and related research;
- Further development of the Austrian strengths in health-care integrated biobanking to become a leading partner for academic and industrial research.
- Embedding BBMRI.at into the societal framework by relating the Node to societal expectations and ethical/legal requirements